On Wednesday, November 20, my grandfather passed away. It was my mother's dad and he was 97 years old. Bob was the most amazing man and he leaves a legacy that our family is extremely proud of. I spent Monday afternoon saying my goodbyes. I sat with him for 4 hours holding his hand. He was coherent while I was there. He looked at me, waved at me and squeezed my hand from time to time. On Tuesday he became unresponsive. I am glad he is finally at peace and been reunited with my Aunt Donna. I know both of them are watching over us from heaven. I am so honored and thankful that we shared the same birthday. He will forever be my "birthday buddy" and I will never forget to honor and remember him each year on September 24. Here is his obituary:
Robert Cloud “Bob” Womack, 97, passed
peacefully from this earth on November 20, 2013 surrounded by his loving
family. He was born in 1916 to Lesta
Wallace Womack and Alberta Louise Cloud in Smithville, Tennessee. The family moved to Dallas in 1923, and Bob
graduated from Oak Cliff High School in 1934.
While working as the director of tooling and maintenance for the
National Housing Corporation during WWII, Bob developed many of the key
principles that would later lead to his success in manufacturing and
engineering. After WWII, he joined the
army to serve as a machinist and a welder during the rebuilding of Germany
where he met his wife, Ruth Dengler.
When he returned to the United States, he eventually founded
Womack Machine Supply Company in 1953. The
Company, headquartered in Dallas, expanded its business by offering free courses
and developing numerous textbooks focused on hydraulic and pneumatic
engineering principles Bob learned through his own experiences. For these courses, Bob and his wife Ruth
created textbooks and those textbooks eventually became manuals used by companies
such as General Electric, Kodak, and Texas Instruments. Bob’s fascination with inventing and
developing his own products led to the foundation of AAA Products Incorporated
in 1960, and his lifetime passion for teaching and learning prompted him to assist
Southern Methodist and Texas A&M Universities in establishing engineering
labs. In 2008 SMU bestowed upon Bob an honorary doctoral degree in engineering.
An avid outdoorsman, in the mid-1950’s Bob converted an old
school bus into an early motor home named the “Yukon Queen” that he drove to
Alaska for numerous hunting and fishing trips. One of Bob’s favorite vacation
destinations was the Rocky Mountain area north of Gunnison, Colorado. At first he took the family camping in state
parks, later camping in the Yukon Queen. He became a talented fly fisherman, and enjoyed
teaching his family and friends how to fish.
As a young man Bob traded his airplane mechanic duties for flying
lessons. He immediately began “barn-storming” in a biplane, flying to rural
areas to make money by providing rides to the people watching him land in an
open field. Eventually he became an accomplished pilot who owned his own plane.
As his business grew into a multi-state operation, Bob would fly to the cities
where he had offices to personally teach fluid power classes using the
textbooks he wrote.
In addition to his business and educational endeavors, Bob
was also dedicated to his faith and numerous charities. He was a board member of Christian Schools,
Inc., which later became Dallas Christian Schools and which three of his
children attended. He was also
instrumental in starting Christian Services, Inc. which later became Christian
Works, an organization dedicated to building healthy families. Bob’s devotion to his Lord led him to be an
enthusiastic supporter for the development and growth of church congregations.
An author, an inventor, an engineer, a teacher, a carpenter,
a machinist, a pilot, and a businessman, Bob leaves a legacy of service to his
community and devotion to his family. He
is survived by his wife of 66 years Ruth Womack, brother James Wallace Womack, sister
Gertrude Stacy, and sister-in-law Herta Jackson. He is survived by his children, Judy James
and her husband David, Harry Womack and his wife Angel, as well as 11
grandchildren, 7 great grandchildren and numerous nieces and nephews. He is
also survived by his daughter Linda Blumrich and her husband Robert. He is
preceded in death by his daughter Donna Womack Dusek and his son Dan
Womack. Visitation will be held at Sparkman-Hillcrest
Funeral Home, Monday, November 25th from 6pm-8pm, and memorial services
will be held at Walnut Hill Church of Christ, Tuesday November 26th
at 1pm. Interment will follow at
Sparkman-Hillcrest at 3pm. In lieu of flowers, please make a donation to the
Donna Dusek Breast Cancer Fund at UT Southwestern, P.O. Box 91088, Dallas,
Texas 75391-0888, or www.utsouthwestern.edu/donatenow
the Donna Dusek Breast Cancer Fund.
![]() |
| Thanksgiving 2011 Please note in this picture the bolo tie and light he has attached to his pocket. Those are two iconic items my grandfather will always be remembered for having. |
![]() |
| Bob holding my hand on Monday. |
A couple of interesting facts about him that were not included in the obituary are the machine that puts the ball in your ballpoint pen was inspired by one of his inventions and the air in a biscuit can was most likely filled by a valve he produces at his company. He also designed and produced valves that are used for the emergency steering system on submarines. It is simply amazing all of the things he did in his lifetime and the impact he has had on this world.
On to my next bit of news. A couple of weeks ago Shane, Gray and I all had bronchitis. Each of us had our own concoction of antibiotics and inhalers. Gray and I kicked the illness but Shane's seemed to linger and also sounded worse than we ever were. Early this week he started to feel sick again and Wednesday night he had a fever. He went to the doctor first thing Thursday morning and called me shortly after telling me I needed to take him to the hospital for a chest x-ray. We headed over to the ER where they took blood labs, chest x-rays and a CT scan. It was confirmed that he had pneumonia in both lungs so they admitted him yesterday. So here we are sitting in the hospital while Shane is pumped with antibiotics, fluids and a menagerie of other medications. Luckily Gray is in school during the day and we had family take care of him last night while I spent some time with Shane at the hospital. I headed home around 9pm to go home, help my parents wrap up the obituary Shane and I wrote while sitting in the ER and get some sleep. Shane seems to be doing better but they say it will be a 4-6 week recovery. We hope he will be released tomorrow so we can go home and get some rest before the grieving process truly begins on Monday.
It has been an eventful couple of days and I am beyond ready for some much needed downtime emotionally and physically. Our Thanksgiving may be extremely low key. I have not fully processed the death of my grandfather since I have not had time to myself. I find myself crying in the car between destinations because it's the only time I am alone with my thoughts. Monday evening and Tuesday will be extremely rough and I pray God will continue to help me find peace. I am trying hard to hold it together for not only myself, but also my family, but even the toughest person has a breaking point. Luckily Shane and I have a great sense of humor and found time to laugh while lying in the hospital.
![]() |
| All in a day's work as the life of a sickly man |
![]() |
| Life insurance payout, here I come! |
I choose to end this post on a happy note and share some photos of us. When Gray turned one I decided to get some family photos taken. With all of us being ill, it was hard to schedule anything. Luckily, the husband of the lady at Gray's school that absolutely adores him does photography. He came over to our house and we took some photos at a park and trail near our home. We love the photos and could not be happier with how well they turned out given our circumstances. (A big "thank you" to Scott Wagner!) I'm sure you will notice we had to work hard to get Grayson to smile. :)
I have more photos and stories from this month that I plan to share, but those will have to wait for a later day. Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!













No comments:
Post a Comment